Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A regular day

No fun and exciting projects today, and no pictures I'm afraid. We did have a fun day though. Here's how our "regular" day went:

We started off with our daily circle time which today included his critical thinking question. Nick was really excited because the page had pictures of food on it... go figure.

Then we did some math. We started with a quick review of ordinal numbers (1st through 5th, he needed more practice on distinguishing things like 2nd from the right), and reviewing how to write Roman Numeral 1 to 5.

Next, we played a math review game to practice greater than, less than, and equal to. Nick does really well on these, but every now and then gets the greater than and less than signs mixed up, so I like to review it occassionally. Our "game" is pretty simple, one person rolls the dice, and then figures out which sign goes between the numbers, reads it, and then passes the dice to the next person. We haven't had to have scores because Nick doesn't care, but if someone wanted to play with scores you could just give points for the numbers rolled if they get the sign right.

After that we did reading. We're now doing a combination of Hooked on Phonics, as well as Explode the Code Online. I've moved him back in Explode the Code because I really felt like he needed more review and it's definitely helping, plus he's having fun with it again, it was moving forward too fast for him, which is funny since it self-adjusts to the child. I think the problem is that he can figure out the words but he needs to get more adept and quicker at it.

Then it was on to Science where we finished making our book about the particles of matter and how tightly they are packed in solids, liquids and gases. This finishes up our section on matter so now I'll have to put his lapbook together. I'll post it when I get it done.

Then Nick read one of the BOB books. We checked them out from the library and I need to take them back this week. I hate to because he's really loving them, I may have to go and get him a set now that he's getting into them.

We ended with History. We read a little blurb on fossils and then watched a movie about how fossils are formed and the different types of fossils. Nick loved it, he watched it 5 times! I hope our other history topics keep his interest as well as fossils. Of course that's why I started him off with this, so he'd get the idea that history is fun, and then I just have to help him keep that, which shouldn't be hard since I have lots of fun stuff to do for Ancient History next year.

Tomorrow we have Explorer's Club craft time. I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment